As many of you post blogs with Santa pictures at this fun season, I have had lots of reminders this past week, week and a half, about how short our life here on this earth is. I was talking with Beth (my sister-in-law) last week about Keith McCord passing away. As we read the Harding Alumni Digest together over the phone, we also came across one of her classmates in MFT who had passed away within 6 days of Keith. That was two MFT graduates within one week of each other. There was also someone else in their early 30s who had passed away as well. We talked about how many people our age seem to be getting various forms of cancer. Then on Friday, a member from church called me to tell me their 20 year old cousin was killed in an automobile accident. Within the past year this family has had two individuals killed in a car accident, both 20 years of age. On Sat. I received an email about another friend from Harding whose 2 1/2 month old baby died in their sleep on Nov. 30th. And then yesterday my dad told me that his uncle passed away this past Saturday. This was the last living sibling to my grandmother. All of these people are of different ages and died with different situations but yet God choose to call them home. So, as I have continued to get ready for Christmas, Santa to visit, trips to be made; God has continued to remind me to be thankful for every minute with my precious family, with friends and relatives. I am so thankful for the grace He has given each one of us so that one day we will all see each other again.
Monday, December 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Very well said, Rachel. When times like these happen, especially when it affects men and women our age, it really makes me refocus on what is important. I think the situation with Keith has made many Harding alum look at things differently now.
Love you - have a great week!
You're right. God doesn't promise us 80 or 90 years, but sometimes I live like there's no chance of no tomorrow. Know what I'm saying? I tend to take so much for granted. Thanks for the reminder to hold my family tight tonight before drifting off to sleep. And I'll say an extra prayer of thanks.
Post a Comment