Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Our Little Guy

Since birth Joshua has had clogged tear ducts. Both of the girls had them but they cleared up by the time they were a month old at the latest. They were never that bad either. Poor Joshua!!! His are terrible and still going on at almost eight months old. His poor eyes have got to be irritating him but yet he never seems irritated by them. Most of the time they have so much goop coming out of them that his eye is matted close to shut and then a huge red mark is underneath his eye where it is irritated from the goop.

Yesterday I took him to the doctor because he has been pulling on his ears, his eyes are terrible again, and he has spots on his face like eczema. The results: yes the spots are eczema, thankfully no ear infection (guess they are bothering him from his teething) and then yes it is still clogged tear ducts. If his eyes don't clear up by a year old at the latest, he will have to have surgery to have a probe stuck down his tear duct to open them. I pray that they open up soon and he won't have to have surgery. The doctor even said yesterday that we might see about surgery next month at his nine month check-up if his eyes haven't cleared up since they are so bad. Please pray God will open up his tear ducts and that he won't have to have surgery.

On another note, here he is with a plate. Yes I know its silly, but I couldn't resist after he had finished 4 plates of food last night and was still screaming for more. I know, I know--he is Jeremy's son. What more should I expect?! It is just that he is only 7 1/2 months old and he is already eating twice as much as me. This 4 plates of eating has been going on for about 2 weeks with him. Talk about growth spurt!!! Between Emma and Joshua our food bill will not be small when they get to be teenagers.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Poor Joshua! I don't know if you remember this or not, but Hayley had realy bad clogged tear ducts as well. The doctor gave us some drops and told us to keep massaging them and they will hopefully clear out on their own.

When Hayley was close to a year old, she still had them and the doctor prescribed a different kind of drops. They worked like a charm - right before her first birthday. The doctor also told us that Hayley might have to have surgery at a year old if they didn't clear up. I will keep you all in my prayer but I hope this gives you some reassurance. Just keep giving him drops and massage the tear ducts.

Hmm...surgery for a 9 month old for clogged tear ducts? I would wait until a year if it hasn't unclogged. Hayley's pediatrician has always said that infants shouldn't have surgery unless it was ABSOLUTELY necessary. Tear ducts aren't extememely crucial at this age - just downright annoying.

Elizabeth said...

I'm so sorry for the poor little guy. That has got to be irritating. But, I'm with Stephanie...wait til a year. Carter had one clogged tear duct until he was a year old and then it cleared up. Most of the pictures we took during his first year show one red eye. I know it is difficult, so I will pray little Joshua's opens up soon!

Rachel said...

Thanks friends for the encouragement. It really isn't that irritating to me most days, I just think here lately it has bothered me more since I think some days it is getting worse and not better. I am massaging and doing drops yet again. This has been a process through his whole life. Poor boy, between red eyes and eczema on his face, he looks like he got in some kind of fight. And don't worry, I don't want surgery unless he is a year old and there is NOTHING else to try! I am with you both on that. Love you both and am so glad we are all blogging and keeping up with each others lives.