Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Battle Wound!

Today was a day I would not like to repeat, well, EVER! It could turn into a long story about everything (not just this part of the day) but I will make a long story short. Joshua tripped on some carpet at the gymnastics place today and busted his head open. When he fell he hit his forehead on a pew that is in the viewing room where parents can sit and watch their kids. The trip to the ER for a busted head made the day extra long and extra tough!

I did take some pictures of the event since I had my camera in my purse. Jeremy thought I was psychotic for taking them, but I needed to scrapbook his first stitches and also his first trip to the ER. It also really did help Joshua take his mind off the pain and gave him something else to focus on. We took pictures of lots of different things and then he kept pressing the button on the camera to look at them.

The cut is above his left eye and begins at his eyebrow. It goes straight up about 1-1.5 inches. The cut was about 3/4-1 inch deep. He received 6 stitches and was a trooper! He would SCREAM during the time they were putting the needle through but then laid there not screaming or crying while the doctor was knotting each stitch. He did a great job! In fact he didn't have any type of pain medicine all day until bedtime tonight. I only gave him that to make sure he slept well. He was happy and played the rest of the day. What a man!

As a parent you know things like this will happen but it is always tougher than you ever imagine when you have to go through it. Having to stay calm and help hold him down was probably the hardest--esp. since when he was screaming he kept screaming "MAMA, STOP, MAMA!!!" Wow! Talk about a jab to my heart not being able to pick him up and swaddle him. Instead I felt even worse having him scream that while I was holding his hands and practically laying on his legs to help keep him still. It took three people to hold him down during the stitches. I know he was more scared of being held down than having the stitches done. I was so thrilled when the doctor was finished and I was able to hold him and give him some more lovin'!

I am not sure what is wrong again with our 6.5 yr old computer! It won't allow me to download the pictures so I will try again in the morning. I am tired and would greatly like to go to bed and not ever have to repeat this day!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Poor little guy! Parents always take our children's "battle wounds" so much harder than they do. What a tough boy you have!

Ang said...

That sucks!! How sad to go through that without any medicine for the pain. I hear what you mean about it being hard to go through. The two times I have driven people to the ER (my dad and Gracie) for accidents I felt like I was fine until I got to the hospital and then the tears came. It is always very emotional, even when you know everything will be fine because it is not that serious.
I hope he is just as fine today as he was yesterday.

Melanie said...

Poor little guy. This was us a month ago. He'll heal quickly!

Momma J said...

As parents of 2 boys ... I know my turn is coming. (My husband made MANY trips to the ER in his youth!)
We've decided that he is in charge of blood and broken bones and I am in charge of fevers and flus. They say when it happens you react automatically but I don't think I'll be the rock of stability you were for your boy. Hope he is doing well and Emma too!