Joshua turned 10 months old today and we spent two hours at the doctor's with him. He has had a deep chest cough for 5 weeks now and it is not getting any better. Three weeks ago I took him in and he was given Albuterol cough syrup. It is still not helping at all. Poor guy wakes himself up during the night coughing. He sounds awful! So, we took him back today. This was the 4th time he has been in since he turned 9 months old last month. I have also called the office several times besides that. So far in the last 4-5 weeks he has had the respiratory flu, a sinus infection, an ear infection, the stomach bug and streptococcus pneumonia. So, today he had a breathing treatment and a chest x-ray to try to figure out why he can't get over this cough. They put his little body in this contraption that looked like it would was for torturing. It is an x-ray machine on wheels for infants. They had me hold his arms up while they set him on a bicycle seat and tightly wrapped two hard pieces of plastic around his chest so he wouldn't move. His face was pressed against the x-ray film. It was so sad. I know it was for his health but I didn't like it. I felt like they were torturing him! No pneumonia thankfully but he does have acute bronchitis. So, add that to his list for the month. Poor boy! We came home with an antibiotic mixture and also a breathing machine for him to receive breathing treatments here at home at least twice a day. He does not like having the mask in front of his face for five minutes but he does better than expected. The two he has had so far have really seemed to help. Hopefully, we will be able to get him well soon. Two weeks ago the doctor told me not to worry about taking him places but now, he is not going anywhere until he is better. I am tired and I know he is tired!!!
Today as I watched him endure the chest x-ray I was very thankful for my healthy children and that this is something we don't have to go through on a routine basis. I am also thankful for modern medicine and the leaps and bounds that the medical field makes each day! I cannot imagine being a parent of a child who is ill and needing medical attention all the time. Tests and procedures are so hard on the kids and parents. I am so thankful for the health of our children thus far and I pray that God will continue to bless them with their health.
Our health really is a blessing. Please pray for Joshua and his little body to heal. Also, I ask that you please pray for Jeremy's mom. She will have surgery in the morning. Pray that the Lord blesses the doctor's and nurse's hands throughout the surgery. Also, please pray for Jeremy's dad as he is taking care of her. It has been hard on all of us with them so far away in CT.
Monday, February 12, 2007
Our Baby!
Posted by
Rachel
at
10:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Poor little guy - I will keep him in my prayers. I know it's no fun having a sick child! My friend's daughter also has bronchitis right now and I can see how hard it is on the child as well as the parents.
I'm planning on calling you later this afternoon. I'll talk to you then - love you!
Oh Rachel...we had to do the same thing when Asher had his first "attack". He was 6 months old and they did the same xray. We also were sent home with a nebulizer and haven't lived without one since. Asher takes one treatment a day of Pulmicort which is a steroid and is a preventative treatment. The older he gets, the better he gets. Did they tell you to do it with the mask? When Asher was that little,we did something called a "blow by" and just held the blue tube in front of his face. It wasn't so restricting and they evidently get more medicine that way. My mom in law is an RT and she helped us alot in the beginning of his asthma. I hope Joshua doesn't have asthma. Will be praying...hope you guys are good.
Flee
Oh, how hard to watch other people handle your babies in such an unemotional way! Like you said, we know it's for the best, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch!
Breathing issues are so scary! Saying a prayer for him and Jeremy's mom right now...
Love you
Hope Jeremy's moms surgery went well. Also glad to hear the medicine is helping, hope he continues to get better quickly. Enjoy your time at home-try to make the most of it. love you.
Rachel, I am keeping your little guy, you, and your family in prayers. Let's hope for some sunshine soon. Love ya, Sarah
I hear you, Rachel. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this with Joshua. It is so hard to see a baby struggle for air. Your perspective is so wonderful--keep it us. That's what will get you through this rough time.
Post a Comment