Friday, October 06, 2006

Sneaky

Look at what I found in our yard this afternoon after returning from taking Madison to gymnastics!

It was half in our front yard and half on the driveway. I came pretty close to stepping on it. First, let me make sure each one of you knows that I HATE SNAKES anyway they come. Even plastic play ones give me the shakes. So, to find this at home with Jeremy not here did not help. (Although, snakes are a phobia of his as well.) After several phone calls to determine what type of snake it was, we figured out that is probably a black rat snake. Thankfully, they are not poisonous. I was worried that my three children would never again be able to play outside. We live next to a field and so we imagine it found its way into our yard from there.

About an hour after the whole episode occurred, Madison asked how the snake got into our yard. As I was telling her that it just slithered into our yard probably from the field, I started thinking about Satan and how he slithers in and out of our lives. Last night in the girls class that I am teaching we talked about Eve and the fall of man. We talked about how Satan did a lot of convincing to get Eve to eat the fruit. In many ways, Satan comes in and out of our lives without us never even knowing he was there. Sometimes, he shows himself just by our words or even the tone in our voice. (Something we don't really notice.) Other times it is definitely more noticeable. The actions we do or words we use, we do on purpose. Satan is a sneaky creature. He wants us to do and be things that we know we should not do or be. If he can come in and out of our lives without us knowing it is him who is working, then all the better. He has won and we are just seeing what we are doing as normal. I have been praying tonight that God shows me where in my life I allow Satan to get me where I don't even notice it. My prayer for each of you, my friends, is that you also will fight Satan and his sneaky ways.

(Thanks to all the encouraging words over the last few days from my last post. You are all great friends and today was a much better day! Thanks again!)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Ewww..you made my skin crawl looking at those pics! But isn't it ironic that you talked to the girls about the fall of man and a snake slithers in your yard the very next day!

Whoever said not to kill non-poisonous snakes because it keeps poisonous ones away is insane! I know it's true but a snake is still a snake!