Wednesday, November 14, 2007

PIGS!!

Saturday we got to go pick our pigs with the other cottages. It was lots of fun and very interesting. Joshua loves watching the pigs but didn't want to get close to them. He really doesn't like it when the pigs squeal.Here he has fallen in the grass. As you can tell for the picture above, his pants were filthy by the time we left from him falling several times. I definitely knew on Saturday we live on a farm!
Emma, who is a ham within herself, was loving the pigs. She is so cute!
The boys and Madison choose in order of highest level (something the boys have on campus) and then also grades. Since Madison isn't apart of the levels system she still got to be put into the mix with her grades. She got to pick second out of the 10 people picking b/c she has straight A's!!! She choose a York pig. Here she is petting her pig!
This is a better picture of Madison's pig--Jeremy! I know, you are probably thinking I miss typed the pig's name but no, his name is Jeremy. Madison originally named her pig Sara. Then we told her she had a boy pig and Sara probably wasn't the greatest name for a boy pig. So then she thought she would tease her daddy and name it Jeremy. After, of course, Jeremy and her had their silly battle, the pig's name still remains Jeremy. She is so funny sometimes!
The pig Emma is petting is a Blue Butt pig. Blue Butts are mixes b/t Yorks and Hamps (I am learning pig talk--can you tell?!). This is Emma and Joshua's pig. I still have no picture of Joshua with his pig, or any pig for that matter, b/c he won't get close to them.
In all, we have 5 pigs so far at our house. We have three Blue Butts, 1 York and 1 Hamp (A Hamp is the pig Joshua is looking at in the first picture.).

I wanted to add these pictures of the girls with the horses we have. Our cottage is the cottage that takes care of the horses. Westview has 8 horses. Our kiddos LOVE them!!

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

LOL! I love that Madison named her pig Jeremy! I can just see Jeremy's face when he heard that! And I'm sure Joshua will learn to love the pigs. I can see how they can be scary for smaller children.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures!! You made my day! What a beautiful horse. I'm glad that he likes the girls. I knew that Madison would choose a pink pig! I remember the first time she saw a black and white one at Silver Dollar City. She was very upset that it didn't look like the pink pigs in her books! Can't wait to see all of you!

Anonymous said...

Pops says........

EEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Deborah said...

How fun for your kids to get to experience this! Those horses are gorgeous.

LET said...

Hey, where are the trees? There probably aren't many out there, huh. :-) My dream when I was little was to live on a farm and have a horse!
Laura

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful picture of Madison with the horse! I love that your kids are getting to experience this farm life...they will learn so much.

Anonymous said...

I am speechless. Half of me is dumbfounded that your children have pigs. The other half of me wants to live in a place where my kids can hve pigs...as long as I didn't have to do anything but fry them up. (the pigs, not the kids)

Ang said...

WOW, how much fun is that? I am jealous. I had pigs, but we NEVER had horses, and I always wanted to.

flee said...

That looks alot like Lubbock!! Made me a little sad missing home!! Love the pictures...horses are very therapeutic. I got to work with our foreman for a few months at the Boys Ranch in Lubbock and he taught me how to break a colt. It was one of the most awesome experiences of my life. It is something I want to do again someday on a regular basis. Enjoy them!!

BigMacTN said...

Rachel, we have updated Ron's blog with a missions report. You can read it here http://bigmactn.blogspot.com/ Happy Thanksgiving!

Janelle, David, Christopher and Jacob

David said...

When I was little my grandparents and 3 sets of aunts and uncles raised hogs (no old jokes Stephanie Schweiter). I can remember being chased out of the pen by one old sow who was mean! 10 pigs...hmmm, how about naming them Bacon, Ham, Pork Chops, Tenderloin..... I'll keep working on the rest. Happy Thanksgiving.

Melanie said...

What a great learning experience for the kids! Love the pics!