Thursday, June 26, 2008

Handling My Anger

Tonight I had to take the advise I give to my boys on handling their anger. It is very hard to handle your anger in a Christian way when people are not treating your kids fairly. I know, life is not always fair (my mom repeated this phrase over and over growing up) but it is not right to teach children at the age of 5-6 to cheat.

Madison is in her last week of T-Ball and they are in a tournament. We lost 2 games all season and yes we were playing another good team but all they (the other team) did was cheat tonight! The umps, the coaches and even one of their players! Our kids lost by one point but we had many bad calls on us. At one point when they were batting in the last inning our pitcher beat the kid by at least three steps to first and so you would think he would be out, but no, the ump called him safe! You should have heard the stands of parents! The first base coach from the other team was standing there laughing b/c he knew he was out and yet was not honest with the ump or us. So, we go home with a loss and placed in the loser's bracket in the tournament (it is double elimination).

Yes, us parents are furious and angry, but it is the kids who are really hurt. The pitcher who made that out totally didn't understand why the kid wasn't out when it was obvious that he beat the kid to the base. Madison kept saying, "But mom they were cheating!" So, even though it was hard, it was a good teaching moment. I just kept telling her that she played her best, she played hard and most importantly their team played fair and didn't cheat and for that they are winners and should be very proud of themselves. I think she felt that after I repeated it to her about 10 times. (I think God was also using this to work on my heart with the situation.)

Tomorrow night we play again and we will possibly play another team that cheats. They are one of Hollis' biggest rival. (We are a traveling team since Hollis is so small.) So, please pray that they won't cheat and that our children will be able to continue to play fair and understand that as long as they play their hardest and best they are winners!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember this from my kidhood....

"Cheaters never prosper, and 'losers' never win"

Like Jeremy told his coach once, "My mom said she is fixin to have a little talk with the other teams moms if they don't straighten up"

....the Heathens! They sure do need us to show them Jesus....

Melanie said...

So sad. I can't stand this for something that should be so innocent as children playing, but what a great teaching moment for the entire team and parents.