Madison's first week of being a Hollis Tiger is officially over! She had a fun week and really is enjoying school. Momma has to brag for a minute---SHE IS A STRAIGHT A STUDENT!!! She received three grades this week, each of them a 100!!! We are so proud!! All other papers she received a star on!!
She has made several friends. Two little girls she has talked about several times are Jasmine and Joy. There is also one other little girl but I can't remember her name. She has also been saying something that a boy Austin walks around saying. I am glad she is making friends.
Even with her enjoying her week we had several issues as well. First was her eating. Our children like to take their time to eat. Really that is an understatement! It is nothing for it to take us an hour to an hour and a half to have dinner at night. Madison is a super slow eater, Emma plays and goofs off, and Joshua eats so much it takes him that long to finish and be full. So for Madison to only have 25 minutes for lunch at school has been a challenge. Monday she came home and said she didn't eat much b/c they said they had five minutes left so she packed her lunch back up. When I asked her what she ate, she said my grapes and a few chips. Didn't get to her meat, cheese or honey bun. Wednesday I even sent a brownie and she didn't eat that. That would have been the first thing gone from my lunch box! She has even asked me several times this week if I would teach her to eat fast ;0)--can you teach that?!?! Everyday we have had the conversation about how she needs to focus on eating and not paying attention to what her friends are doing. When I pick her up from school she is starving and always has the rest of her lunch completely gone by the time we get home. Maybe one day soon she will come home with all her lunch gone!
Another issue was shots. In Oklahoma you have to have a Hep A shot in order to go to school. You guessed it, she hadn't had that one. So yesterday we went to get that shot. Let me just tell you that it is pretty difficult to hold down a six year old who doesn't want to get a shot. I have always taken the kids b/c Jeremy isn't into the whole shot thing but it was so bad yesterday I told him I had served my time in the shot department and it was his turn to take them whether he passes out or not. So, in 6 months (Feb) when she has to get the second one for Hep A, it will be all Jeremy on that one!
Jeremy and I are handling it pretty well. We are tired from having to get up earlier to get her to school by 8 am. 6:45 comes awful early!! It is very weird when I am "counting" kids and seeing what they are up to and only count two instead of three. Emma is constantly asking if we are going to pick up Madison from school and screams with excitement when we do pick her up. She misses her sister. It is sweet! I think since we have been busy with training this week so it hasn't been as hard as it might have been if I were at home all day.
This coming week hopefully will be better in the eating dept. but we will be moving into our house sometime during the week so that will make for more transition time. I will be glad when we are in and settled.
On another note -- this is my 100th post!! Almost one year of blogging and 100 posts! Here is to another 100+!!!
Saturday, August 18, 2007
First Week & 100th Post!
Posted by
Rachel
at
7:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Hey Rachel - Ginni is going in 4th grade and has yet to eat very much at lunch. She usually eats her leftovers on the way home from school. She tends to talk and visit instead of eat. We have had the focus talk - didn't do any good. Hope you get settled this week and get somewhat of a normal routine. Love and miss you, Julia
I have a slow (and picky) eater too. This summer we started setting the timer for 30 minutes at meal times. If her food is not gone before the timer dings, we take away her plate and she doesn't get anything else to eat until the next meal time. If she does finish, she can have a small snack or treat before the next meal time. It has been working fairly well. She understands the rules and sometimes chooses to not finish and not get a snack. I figure she really isn't hungry on those days. Other times she is very motivated to eat, so she can have a piece of candy or some fruit snacks. It is making meal time a bit less stressful (and not so drawn out -- we've had 2 hour meals too!) at our house and I am hoping it is teaching her to eat within a certain amount of time. School starts tomorrow and she only gets 30 at preschool to eat. Last year we ate lunch together and I helped, but this year we have different lunches.
Hey girl! Glad to see you're getting adjusted to your new home and that Madison has gotten off to a good start in school. I can't believe our kids are now in school. Hayley starts pre-school next Tuesday...I know it's not the same thing but it's very bittersweet. I'll talk to you soon! Love ya!
Sounds like she's doing great. I'm dreading shots this week for Braden. I may send Richard. I don't think I can handle him. How are YOU and JEREMY doing?
Hey Rachel - sorry I'm emailing this way - your address is at work. The letter is done and sent - just wanted you to know. Enjoyed talking to you today. Love, Julia
I shared with Pat about the struggle that Madison is having with finishing her lunch. He laughed and said, "Maybe the Luallen's can teach our boys how to slow down!" Our boys' plates are clean and they are asking to be excused about 10 minutes into dinner-time! It might be nice for them to slow down and actually TASTE their food every now and then.
Don't worry, she'll figure everything out. She can develop friendships at school (during lunch) and then eat when she gets home. (Am I an extrovert or what!)
Rachel!!! You have been so supportive and terrific by encouraging me throught this process. You totally rock! I love you and Lou soooo much! I made a new website to keep everyone better informed...www.LAMBJOURNEY.com. Thanks for everything! Please, keep me in prayer Monday morning. LOVE YOU GUYS!
Ben
Post a Comment