Sunday, July 15, 2007

Struggles

I'm really not sure where to even begin. My personal faith has really been struggling so much in the past few months but more so in the last few weeks. I have been trying to handle this burden on my own and the longer it goes on the more I feel like I need to share so other Christians can be praying with us. This has been and still is a long, hard journey. Let me explain---

On April 19th (yes I said April--almost three months ago) the elders asked Jeremy to meet with them on the morning of the 20th. Jeremy had no idea what the meeting was about. What was a little weird was the 20th was a Friday, his typical day off during the week. He was home within 40 minutes of the meeting starting. When I asked him what his meeting was about and how it went all he did was hand me two sheets of paper. One was a letter from the elders asking him to resign effective immediately and the other was a letter of resignation they had already typed up for him to sign. He said he knew something was up when he got there early to check him email and they had already changed the password on his computer so he couldn't log in. My heart sank, I started crying and asked what the elders had said. The only thing he was told in the meeting was that they wanted to take the youth ministry another direction. They told him he could either sign the resignation letter or they would take other measures. There was no asking Jeremy if he could take the youth ministry in the new direction just an end to his work at there. He of course signed the resignation letter feeling that he had no other choice. They asked us to not have ANY contact with any one from the congregation for the rest of the weekend and then to not be at church on Sunday. We were floored! They also told him that we needed to turn in our keys that day and his office needed to be cleaned out within a week. We were mad, angry, hurt and VERY confused since we had no reason as to why. Jeremy had two reviews in the 11 months he was minister there and both were good! They told him he was the guy to take them to the next level. Sure there were a few things he could work on, but we all have areas we need to grow in. He was told several times in both reviews you are exactly what we wanted when we hired you! So it really made no sense going from you are great to you need to leave.

Four days later on Tues, the minister of the congregation came to our house to check on us. He was still in shock (Jeremy talk with him on Friday and told him, the elders told NO ONE until Sunday where all they said was Jeremy resigned on Friday). He did tell us that he had talked with the one of the elders and they told him it was nothing spiritual or moral. Which really made us wonder what their reasoning was. To make a long story (three months worth) short--he was doomed to fail before he began here last May. Basically all we have gotten from two elders we have talked to was that he wasn't the old youth minister. The first elder who came to talk with us the week after said they knew whoever followed the old youth minister was going to be the "sacrificial lamb." Those were the exact words he used. Jeremy talked with another elder yesterday and he said that they knew whoever followed "the other guy" (no names will be mentioned) was going to have a really tough job and probably wouldn't make it. He couldn't win for losing. The elders of the congregation had set him up to fail before they ever even hired him! How would that make you feel? He also had two moms who came to him screaming at him because he wasn't "the other guy". They told him to his face they didn't like him because he wasn't "the other guy".

There are so many more things that have gone along with this hurt and has crushed our hearts and our spirits but that is not why I am writing this. We have lost our church family through this. Many times when people lose their jobs they have their church family to rally behind them and support them. Not us, we lost that when Jeremy lost his job. The church in general is NOT happy about this decision and we know that. However, besides the one elder who came to talk with us the week after (he only came b/c he was unable to be at the mtg that Fri morning) not one of the elders has called to come by to check on us and see how we are doing. That hurts probably more than anything. The leaders of the church who are supposed to be concerned with their flocks souls and spiritual well being has not checked on us one time!

We have been attending a smaller congregation about 20 minutes away. Although they are a sweet church, I do not feel at home. Most of the time I lack any desire to even go. I am struggling so much!! I know a couple posts ago I talked about traveling a lot during June. We were on interviews for jobs and were blessed to see family during those travels. Out of the two interviews he has had (from the 50 resumes he has sent out) one of those has decided to keep looking and we haven't heard from the other one. It has been three weeks since the interview there and we are beginning to think that it is a no go as well. Most congregations aren't checking his references and once they hear he was let go, they don't call anymore.

I AM A PLANNER and I don't have a plan!!!!! This has been extremely hard for me to give this to God. I know he has something better for us somewhere but I would like to know where! It has been almost three months and both Jeremy and I thought he would have a new job by now. Jeremy is very discouraged! I couldn't say that enough. He was so great about the whole thing at first but the more time that passes, the rougher it is on him.

I really didn't want to share this on my blog. My plan was to blog when he had a new job and make it seem like God was planting us somewhere new and then I wouldn't have to get into this whole thing. But, the more time that passes the more I start to wonder if my prayers are hitting the ceiling. Is God there? Do I (Rachel and Jeremy and our sweet kids) matter to him? Why won't he answer with something besides a not right now? Does He remember that Madison starts school here on Aug 23rd and if we have to move I would prefer to do it before school starts? So my sweet friends who are reading this blog, I really need your prayers! Jeremy needs your prayers! Selfishly I would love to ask you to pray that God gives Jeremy a job today! But, I know the prayer I need is for patience that he will provide the right job at the right time and also that he will give us peace during the waiting process. Peace that will surpass all understanding and that will make us stronger in the end. I also would ask for you to pray that our faith grows through this instead of shrinking--even now through this waiting. I also ask that God will continue to provide financially through this time.

Please also pray for our children, esp. Madison. This hasn't really been hard on Emma or Joshua since they are still young enough but Madison- even today- asked when we were going to go back to "____"? It kills me every time I have to say I don't know. Most everyone there wants us to come back and still attend there while we live here, but the week after everything happened and the elder came to talk with us I asked him what I was supposed to tell Madison? She cried every time it was church time because we weren't going there and she wanted to see her friends. He told Jeremy and I that we could meet her friends at the park or have them over to play. There was no mention about it being okay for us to come back. So, please pray for Madison as even today she still has a hard time with not getting to see her friends.

I know I can't carry this burden alone. I need my Christian brothers and sisters to be praying for my family and especially for my husband. Thank you in advance for your prayers and support as we patiently await God's new chapter in our life.

38 comments:

Stephanie said...

Rach - I'm so glad you had the courage to share this on your blog. I know this experience has been so hard on your family. You need more people praying for you! You made me realize that I need to be more of a Barnabas to you than being angry at them for their decisions.

We will continue to pray that God will clearly show the path you need to take next. I'll call you sometime this week this week so we can chat. I love you!

Anonymous said...

We love you guys so much! I have been praying and will continue to pray. I will be more specific about sweet Madison for sure and I will pray that God will reveal His plan.

Melanie said...

Oh Rachel, I just don't even know what to say. I'll be praying for you and for Sweet Madison and the others as well. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Kathryn said...

Rachel - We've not met, but I knew Jeremy well through Delta Chi Delta at Harding. I recently ran across your blog and have loved catching up on your family.

Today's post really moved me. While you know you are struggling with your faith, it's so evident in what you've written that your faith is stronger than you will ever know. You are sad and don't understand what happened, yet you still know that the prayers and love from your friends (and the Lord) will carry you through. That speaks volumes.

My thoughts will really be with your family as you move forward and try to better understand why this happened, why God would lead you to this position in the first place, and what the next best steps are for you all.

Please keep us updated, and know that prayers are being lifted in Virginia for your sweet family.

Desiree said...

Rachel-I love you!! I understand how frustrating it can be-waiting not even knowing if the answer will come- but in your heart you know God is hurting with you, he wants to reveal it today but that's not what's best, I will pray that God can provide some peace until his time can come.

flee said...

Rach...it's funny how when we go thru things that are just so stinkin hard, we always know what is "right" cognitively; but man, our feelings are just saw real and raw that it's hard to believe what you know to be true. You did a brave thing by putting it out there and for that, I'm very proud of you. Without a doubt, we will continue to bring you all before the Father. Much love and prayers to you and your family at this confusing time in your life. Hang on! Your miracle is around the corner!

love, felicia

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel....I am so sorry that you and your precious family are going through this difficult time right now. God has taken care of you thus far and WILL not abandon you now!! Your faith and strength are a blessing to all that know you. I will be praying that God quickly reveals HIS plan for the Luallen family. I love you!

Ang said...

WARNING-DO NOT TAKE MY ADVISE, IT'S NOT GOOD!

OK, with that being said...forget them. I would so much want to go back to church there and say you know what, you don't have the right or the authority to tell me where I can and can not worship.

I get so sick of people being in leadership roles that have no business being there. It makes no difference to me if they had every right to fire Jeremey (which I am sure they didn't) they had/have no right to treat you that way. I know, I know people in the church are just as imperfect as people who don't know Christ, but come on! How can they justify it in their own heads to think they have handeled things correctly?

With that being said, we can not change the stupid people of the world, all we can do is control how we respond to them. From what I gather, you two are responding wonderfully!!

I will most certainly be praying for you guys, and you know it never hurts to be bold in your prayers and ask God to reveal his plan quickly cause your starting to freak out, what's the worst he can say, NO not yet.

Take care, and don't hold this situation against everyone from the great state of Missouri.

Anonymous said...

Have Jeremy check his facebook. Love ya!

Cristy said...

Rachel,
I don't know if you remember me but I've run across your blog and check it periodically. I can completely relate to your situation. The exact thing happened to Mark and I 18 months ago. Almost word for word. I know the pain and confusion that comes from losing your job, your church family and having to get your kids through this time. Blake and Claire were in Kindergarten and Anna Kate was turning 3. (Our stint was from March-December). I called Mark immediatley when I read your blog (he has always loved Jeremy ) and he would like to get in touch with him. My email is cristyfarley@hotmail.com. I am so sorry and would love to help if there is any way I can. Know we are praying for you.

Cristy Farley

Angie said...

I just got off the phone with Cristy and she told me about your blog. I haven't done much blogging lately, so I'm sorry I haven't kept up. I haven't organized a play day b/c of being unmotivated. Well, that's when I see people I haven't seen in quite awhile...like you. I don't know what to say, b/c I haven't been in your shoes. However, I have been a member there and I have issues myself (no names mentioned).
Do you feel like you can contact an Elder or more and try to discuss with them what took place back in April? Maybe pushing them to discuss the problem, would give you all peace and some closure. Again, easier said than done, I know. I don't have a clear cut answer for you. I know you don't want to keep moving around, but have you thought about another church to visit? One that's a little bigger and more to offer for the kids. Maybe a place for you two to work within the church if that's what you want?
We would love for you all to visit and consider Brookline, but understand if that's not a place for you and your family. Keep everyone's thoughts in mind. And just from this post, realize you have more love and support than you can ever imagine, coming from all over the U.S.

Anonymous said...

Hi, you don't know me, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for what you've been through. It makes me sad that Jeremy wasn't given a chance to lead the youth group in "another direction" and even sadder that you couldn't continue to worship there. :( I don't have any advice, except to just forgive and forget and try to move on. Also, if perhaps you might be looking into some other job options here are some ideas - 1. LCU is needing a dorm manager - http://www.lcu.edu/LCU/employment/Residence+Director+-+Katie+Rogers.htm
2. I know that there are churches in California and the east Coast that have been looking for youth ministers for literally years. It's hard to find someone to move there. Perhaps you can search for any openings there. 3. Here is another link for job openings. http://www.ovc.edu/bible/chlookpg.htm
((HUGS)) Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Also this link:

http://www.lcu.edu/LCU/academics/bibstudies/biblejoblist.htm

Another idea is to apply to be houseparents at a children's home? I can just about guarantee 100% that you could get a job, however I understand that might not be the best thing for your family, esp. with 3 young children.

Lara said...

Rachel & Jeremy,

I will be praying for you earnestly. I am so hurt by how your elders have treated you. That is a sin and they will be accountable to God for how they have behaved.

God will bring you through this. In writing this you are testifying to your faith even as you doubt. That's what it's all about. We love you and are praying. Let us know if there's anything else we can do.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel, Know that God will never leave you nor forsake you. The times that you feel like he has left you he is walking right beside you. I know in my heart that God is going to get you threw this. Sometimes we just want to try to do it on are becuase we feel like Gods time isn't the time we need, but when these times come that is when we need to, let go and let God take complete control. Sometimes were so worried about what we want an think we need that when God gives use the answer were so busy worry about everything that we miss what God is trying to show use. Don't worry it is in Gods hands. I love you all and you will be in my prayers! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.

Anonymous said...

I love you and am praying for you all. Keep on keepin' on, even when it is hardest.

Elizabeth said...

Rach, my heart aches for you. Your story hits a little too close to home, being the child of a minister and having been through this before. My gut reaction is sadness that the church has become something other than what God's design for it was. I wish I could change your situation, but I do believe that God makes all things beautiful in His time. My prayer for you is that your faith will grow and that Madison sees how this experience has made you stronger as a family and stronger in your relationships with God. Lean on those that love you. They are God's gift to you.

Love you, friend!

Anonymous said...

Rachel and Jeremy,
You guys are in our thoughts. We'll be praying that God opens the right doors for where He wants you guys to be. Tell Madison hello for us. We'll especially be thinking about her during this time. God bless you!

~Rebecca and Jeremy

Anonymous said...

My heart hurts for you guys. I'll share this with Channing so that we can be praying together and individually about this. Thank you for sharing. I love you!

Dallas said...

I am SO sorry!!!! I cannot begin to imagine the hurt you are feeling right now. We got a little taste of similar bitterness in our mouths 4 years ago when we had to leave the Academy because of ways Matthew was treated. Our hearts couldn't hurt more at the time and we had no idea where we would end up. We felt so betrayed and so used (for lack of a better word). He had given his EVERYTHING to his job and in the end, it just didn't seem good enough. Looking back on it now, it seems he was doomed to fail as well. I know this does not ease your burden any, but we are so happy where we are now. God has opened many, many doors and we are able to serve Him better than we were in Searcy. We will be praying for all 5 of you!!!!! Thank you for having the courage to share your story!

Anonymous said...

JEREMY AND RACH,

WE CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE WHAT YOU ALL ARE GOING THROUGH, BUT WE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR ALL OF YOU DAILY. WE LOVE YOU ALL AND ARE HURTING WITH YOU.

Anonymous said...

Rachel & Jeremy - PLEASE come back to Sunset - don't let a few people control your lives - God is in control not them!!!! I love and miss you. Julia

Joice Family said...

I had heard a little about what was going on and I am so sorry for your struggles. About three and a half years ago I lost my job and it forced us to move. What a struggle to find something new and move all at the same time. Luckily God provided his peace for me while I was looking. I hope that makes sense. It took me 6 months to find something permanent but it was amazing how God provided. Wendy and I will both be praying for you guys. BTW, the Broken Arrow church in the Tulsa area is currently looking. I can get you in touch with them if you need me too.

Matt Tibbles said...

We will be praying for you all that God opens a new era of the Luallen life. If we can encourage you in any way let us know.

LET said...

Rachel and Jeremy,
I just now read your blog - I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your job and the circumstances surrounding it. It's so sad that elders of all people could act that way. I'll be praying for you all, and I know that something wonderful will come up for you. We love you!
Laura
P. S. We drove past your town Friday and Sunday to visit John's grandparents. I wish I had stopped and called. :-(

Anonymous said...

It takes courage to talk about your feelings. We are praying for you all! Love, Amy J.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Here's my thought. I think you should contact the Elders and schedule a meeting. Find out the reason. Get closure and forgive. What do you have to lose? In the meantime, find a church home that suits you and your family so you can continue to grow and be a strong Christian wife/mother/friend.

If you never find out the reason, then you need to pray about it, forgive, and move on. I know you're hurting. God is near! Lean on Him. I see you have a lot of friends and family that love you. You're blessed.

Good luck with your decision. God bless you in all you do.

-Someone who cares deeply-

PS: Find someone to go with you (for support) if you feel uncomfortable going on your own to meet the Elders. That's if you get a chance to meet with them.

Beth said...

Funny how one little one sentence comment could make you second guess yourself even though there are 27 others that are supportive!!!!! People might need to think about things like that. (I'm referring to the comment two above mine) - If I were you I'd delete it and forget it!! Do you also ever wonder why people aren't courageous enough to leave their name on a post?
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."!!!!!
Stay strong girl - we love you so much!!

Sheryl said...

Hey Rachel I just want you to know that I love you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous who left the comment about having "ALL the facts from Jeremy?" Well, this is Jeremy typing this. I don't know your reason for typing this post. I can't begin to try to explain it or understand it. What I want to state here and now is that YES, I have given my wife all the facts as I know them. The elders of the church are some men who I have a deep respect for. I know this because of their history of making many good decisions over their tenure at the church. God has blessed them with a huge responsibility to take care of a large fellowship of believers and they do they best they can and pray for God's guidance for the rest of it. I cannot say that these men are perfect because that would be a lie. But, they are good men who I love dearly and they do their best with God's guidance. That being said, I don't understand everything and they told me that they wouldn't tell me everything because they didn't want us to be more hurt by some of the things that have been done there by the usual human influences that leak into God's church. I open up and disclose everything to my wife and I want everyone who reads this Blog to understand that if that small statement was an attempt by Satan to hurt my marriage, all I have to say is "Get thee behind me!" I am not a perfect man. I do not have the perfect body, soul, or talent to get myself into Heaven. With the grace of God, we will all be there someday and none of this will matter any more. I wish that it had never happened. But I want everyone to know that my wife and I are hurting from all this still. This is not something that just blows over in someone's life. I don't know the reasons for it all and I don't have to. All I know is that God will take care of us somehow because He always has. God bless you anonymous and all the others who have encouraged us with your love and caring. Thank you for taking the time to love us and write that love through notes and comments to us. May God bless us all through the hard times and the good times. Thanks again.
With love from Above,

Jeremy A. Luallen

Anonymous said...

I love you Jeremy, Rachel and family! I'm so very proud of you. One thing that is striking about the comments referring to this blog posting is how many young families that are working for the church have gone through this! I am 56 years old, so I speak to many church leaders as my brothers. What are we doing to the future ministers of the church? How many have already left the work because of discouragement!Not enough reapers in the harvest... come on guys, lets stop shooting our wounded and grow them up in the father's kingdom!! God bless you all and let us be an encouragement to the young ones coming up. And God bless and forgive "anonymous" who tried to sow discord and let Satan use them.
Let's nip this right now and move on in the Kingdom work.

Anonymous said...

See...I'm glad Jeremy spoke up. I didn't write that statement to hurt you two. I wanted to prove a point to those who need to keep their mouths shut and stop spreading rumors. Of course you told Rachel everything. What would you have to lose by lying to her? And really, is it anybody's business? As for the Elders, I hope one day they will tell you the truth and they will also understand rumors are Satan working against their flock.

I apologize for making the statement seem harsh. I pray you will forgive me and hopefully understand that I was only trying to prove a point and not rock your marriage.

I have prayed for your family since this post was written. God bless you and your family as you strive to work for the Lord.

PS: I too am not perfect, by any means. I pray for God's grace as well.

-My apologies again, Christian-

Anonymous said...

I especially appreciated Jeremy's response and the Christian attitude displayed. As for the elders, the situation is somewhat akin to raising our children: we don't claim to have done everything right, but we did what we thought was right at the time. Possibly the elders did mishandle the situation, but I want to think that they thought it was the best decision at the time. They can't go back and change it. I pray that the Internet doesn't become another tool of the devil in this matter.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.