Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Surgery

On our way to St. John's Surgery Center! Madison's surgery yesterday went really well. She was ready for the surgery until it was time to leave the waiting room and go get ready. She did not like the idea of putting the hat on. They did let her decorate her "sleep mask" with stickers and she got to bring it home. Thankfully, they start her IV after she has gone to sleep! She also got to take one baby/animal to surgery with her. She choose her Ariel baby doll. I think it is wonderful how they try to make surgery easier for kids!
The surgery itself lasted less than 20 minutes. We had barely sat back down in the waiting room when they called us into the consultation room for the doctor to talk to us after the surgery. It was amazing. Dr. Highfill said they were some pretty big tonsils and he also said said she had very little bleeding if any at all.

Check these out! I can't believe she had both of them in the back of her throat. No wonder her ears and throat were always bothering her. It is amazing that she was even able to swallow! They were a 4 on a scale of 0-5. When they term your tonsils a 5, they are obstructing your airway.
Five minutes after we finished speaking with Dr. Highfill, we were in the recovery room once again holding our sweet girl. She did so great! Thank you Lord for taking care of our sweet girl and for guiding Dr. Highfill's hands along with the nurses!
The recovery time for tonsils is the long wait. Madison can only have soft foods for two weeks. Yesterday when we got home she was starving. Since she couldn't eat or drink anything before surgery, she made up for it while her numbing medicine was still working. We couldn't get her to quit eating yesterday afternoon. She also had some of her pain medicine which not only helped her pain stay away, but it also helped her stay awake. The doc gave her Tylenol with codeine. The codeine evidently does not help her sleep, but makes her hyper. We were constantly telling her she needed to calm down and rest. She didn't even act like she had surgery earlier in the day. It was amazing! Last night about 8 she did start complaining about her throat hurting. I guess the numbing medicine and the pain medicine had all worn off. So, we have been sticking to plain ol' Tylenol so she'll be able to rest better. Today her throat has hurt her a little more and it is harder for her to eat. She is enjoying lots of popsicles and ice cream. What more could a five year old want?!?! Movies, popsicles and ice cream!
Emma was so sweet when Madison got home yesterday. When I carried Madison in the door she enthusiastically exclaimed, "Hi, sister!" and then she came and gave her a big hug and kiss to help her feel better. Every time Madison has watched a movie the past two days Emma is right there beside her with her head on Madison's shoulder watching the movie too. They are so cute! I am so thankful for my sweet girls who not only are great sisters, but also great friends!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless her! Oh my word...that picture of her in the hat and gown looks so serious! I must say those are some beautiful tonsils! I had no idea there is a scale for size of tonsils. I wonder if her voice will sound a little different than it did because of the change in her throat. Sweet thing! We will be praying for you! Joshua's is next, right? Love you!

Rachel said...

Thanks Amy for the prayers. We are definitely needing them right now and can really feel them. You are right. Joshua's is next. He has his eye surgery on Friday morning bright and early. I meant to say something about that but forgot by the time I got to the end. Oh well. Love ya girl!

Stephanie said...

What a big girl Madison was with those tonsils being so HUGE! She's a trooper - just like her mommy and daddy! We kept her in our prayers on Monday and we'll remember Joshua for Friday. We love you!

Beth said...

Hey girl!

Those kiddos of yours are about as sweet as they can be! I love that you blog and put pictures of them up so we can see them. So glad Madison is doing well, answer to our prayers!!

Love you all bunches!

Desiree said...

One down! So thankful everything went good and shes doing great, hope today is good too. I will be praying for you friday. Love you

flee said...

So glad it went well! Way to go Madison!!! I'll be praying too on Friday.

Much love..flee

Angie said...

Those tonsils are very interesting. You need to compare pictures with Kyra's tonsils. Mike took a picture of them and they were huge too. Jill felt the need to share with me and a few close friends. Hmmm! That's friendship.
I'm glad things went well for Madison. We prayed for your family on Monday at Bible study. Oh and you missed a good intro to Song of Solomon! I'll catch you up if you're brave enough to hear it! ha ha

Elizabeth said...

Rach, I have thought of you and your sweet children all week!! I hope Joshua's surgery goes well today, too. Love you!

Erica said...

Wow. I cannot believe how big your little ones have gotten. We miss you guys!!!!

Donna Strachan said...

Hey girl, I'm thinking of you! Whew, I'm stressed thinking of 2 surgeries back to back. Hope Joshua is ok, he should have had surgery today. I'll call you tomorrow. Love you girl, Donna