Can I just tell you how draining it is for two of your children to have surgery in the same week! I am so exhausted still! So, with that I first want to start out by saying a HUGE thank you to Jeremy's mom for coming to help this week. She was a BIG help and I am so thankful for her helping watch kids, cooking, cleaning and keeping the laundry up! Thank you one million times over!!!
Joshua's surgery on Friday went well. Not that it wasn't hard to hand Madison over to the nurse for her surgery, but it somehow was so much more difficult to hand my little one year old over to someone who was going to be poking around his sweet eye. I couldn't stop thinking about one slip and he could lose sight in his left eye. Thankfully the Lord helped him through and everything turned out great!
We had to arrive at the surgery center at the bright time of 6:30 am. Unlike Madison's, since Joshua was first on Dr. Atkinson's list for the day it didn't take us long to go back to the room. They marked which eye was to have the procedure done and had us change him into his little gown. It was time to say bye, bye goopy eye! YEAH! I am so excited about him having a normal looking eye and to not have to answer people's questions about if he has pink eye or what is wrong with his eye.
Even though he sure is cute in the gown, I am very thankful he doesn't have to wear one on a regular basis. The stretcher he is sitting on is the actual one they roll into the surgery room and do his surgery on. I was thankful they took that separate and allowed us to hand him off in arm at the yellow line just outside the surgery room. I would have never made it if I had to watch my baby being rolled out of the room on the stretcher.
Before they took him back for surgery the nurse gave him some versed and Tylenol. This of course was to help knock him out so they wouldn't have to hold him down while they put the "sleep mask" on him. By the time we handed him off to the nurse he was very sleepy and staring off into space. So, with versed in his system and any other kind of medication they gave him he was very disoriented when he woke up in the recovery room. He cried for about 30 minutes in the recovery room. Nothing we did made him stop crying. It wasn't until they told us we could leave and we actually walked out of the door before he quit crying. It was amazing though how it automatically stopped when we walked out the door. It was like he had been crying the whole time for us to get him out of there. Sad and a little funny all at the same time.
The bear in this picture is a gift from the hospital to him. It is interesting how the two different departments within the same hospital handle surgeries. Madison did not get an ID bracelet (which she was very disappointed about and I was very surprised at) and Joshua did. Also, Joshua was given this teddy bear as a gift from St. John's to him. Cute!
As you can probably tell in the above picture he is not totally off the effects of the medication. He was hysterical for about an hour after we got him home. He acted like a drunk one year old. Check out this video. He laid on Jeremy because he couldn't even hold himself up.
I am so thankful that my children's surgeries are over. They are both doing well. Joshua was fussy only for the day on Friday and by Saturday was a happy camper again. Madison is still doing great. It is everything we can do to keep her from not doing hard activities. She is suppose to rest and not do anything strenuous for two weeks. Yea right! She's five. It is very hard. So, these next few days are the most critical since it is when the scabs are supposed to be coming off. I think she will be watching lots of movies. It is the only way I can keep her still and calm!
Thank you all for your prayers and Thank you Lord for protecting my precious angels during their surgeries this last week!

5 comments:
yeah, I'm so glad last week is over for you. I have been wanting to call but know you are busy and have your hands full. love you!!
I was wondering on the picture with the bear what had happened to his head...Bless him! Hopefully you are in the home stretch of all of this. What a blessing it is that Mrs. Mary came to help. I am sure the load that she took off was immeasurable! Love ya girl!
I know you are so glad it's all over. All the kids look great! The video is a hoot - is there some reason why that Jock Jam music is in the background? Hearing that and watching Joshua at the same time made me laugh!
I'm so glad the kids did well and that surgery week is over! That video is funny, too!
So glad the week of surgeries is done and you can recover! Take time to rest!
Post a Comment