Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Thoughts

I don't usually post things like this but these things have been weighing on my heart these last few days and I once again feel like Satan is telling me not to do it, so I want to prove to him that he can't totally get me down!

I have been thinking a lot lately about life and things in general. The last two weeks have been really hard weeks. I seem to complain about everything. I thought a lot about my Grandma who passed away at Christmas and thought about how everyone at her funeral said they never heard her complain about anything. Even her own children said that! What an amazing woman to have NEVER complained! I have thought about how I too need to be more like her, which in reality is more like Jesus. It has been amazing to me as the weeks have gone by to have God show me what his will is in the situations I was complaining about.

One of the things I complained about was the Wednesday night class at church. Since Jeremy is the youth minister he usually of course teaches that class. Well this quarter he was going to be teaching an adult class. Both of us were really excited about it! Well, one week before the new quarter began, we found out that he was going to be teaching the youth. He was alright with it but I however had to complain. The class the teens are doing is all about our foundations in the church. What we believe and why do we believe that. Not that I didn't want to go to that class, but I was ready for a couples class for a short time. Needless to say, I spent two days complaining about that. Then I was talking on the phone to someone who is VERY dear to me. She told me that she is converting to Presbyterian. It floored me! This is someone I have known my whole life but yet I don't really know them the way I should. The day after that I was talking with a friend from church who went to Harding with me and she is dating a Baptist's minister son. She really feels like he is "the one" but is struggling with thinking about bringing kids up in two different churches. After the first friend told me about their converting, it hit me that God maybe wants me to be in the teen class. It came even more real after talking with the second friend.

My faith is not anywhere where it needs to be. I desire to be closer to God and know him more in depth so badly. I write and give every excuse in the book for not tending that relationship. The one that really is the most important relationship of all!! My faith struggles a lot! After these two sisters shared with me their situations, I felt like God was telling me that I needed to be in the teen class. I needed to grow my own faith so that I will be able to stand my ground when I am attacked and also when friends have questions they need answered.

Then this past weekend we had our ladies retreat at church. The topic was our thoughts and how we can and most of the time need to change those thoughts that are always running through the back of our minds. Those are the thoughts we tend to listen to the most. For me they look a little like this, "Nobody likes you." or "They are nice to you b/c they have to be." or "You are ugly and why would anybody (even Jeremy) think you are beautiful.", etc... I am really trying hard to change those thoughts. I need to change those thoughts! I desired so much to talk to someone at the retreat this weekend, but Satan once again stopped me. In my head I have to have it all together b/c I am the youth minister's wife and what would people think if they really knew what was in my head.

One of my friends posted a "real" post a week or two ago shedding open a layer of her heart and her trials and this really has helped me to think about posting one myself! Some of you know I think these things and others of you might not have known. I hate that I think everyone doesn't like me. I don't like that I feel like everyone is ALWAYS talking about me. One of my friends in Searcy says that she is scared when we talk about things like this. Well, I am scared and I long to be not scared about anything. I long to know that God has it and it doesn't matter about anything.

So, these last few weeks have been real eye openers. I long to be able to say the right things to my friends who need help. The fact is my thoughts in the back of my head tell me that whatever I say is stupid and I won't be able to help. So, there is my heart for each of you! I long to be one of God's servants to the fullest extent but am afraid that Satan's thoughts in the back of my head stop me from doing that often. So, here is to a committment to daily study and prayer time! NO EXCUSES!!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the most real you have been in a long time. I appreciate you so much and wish that Satan would leave the "Low Points in the wall" alone for a while so you could strengthen your defenses. God bless you and I love you more than anything.
Jeremy

Our Family said...

Rachel, thank you for sharing your heart. I have enjoyed reading your blog and seeing what your family is up to, but this post was really special because it was about you. I sort of knew Jeremy at HU, and really wish that I had gotten to know you. Maybe sometime you guys are in town we can all get together. I'd like that. ~Deidre

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Rachel. Just this last week I admitted to some things that Satan was using to try to make me irritated/jealous about. I immediately felt a little relief and have not struggled as much with those silly issues since. You have been through so much in the last year and God is waiting and longing to prove His love for you! He is longing to show you His compassion and forever presence in your life. I have been thinking about you alot lately. I will be praying more for you...please do the same for me.

On a related note, this morning (kind of cool huh?) on the Today Show they showed this minister somewhere who was sending out those bracelet things (like for cancer) to help remind not to complain. It was a 21 day challenge to not complain. If you mess up you are supposed to switch the bracelet to the other arm...but you have to go 21 consecutive days. I really thought about checking into this challenge. Maybe, if we are up to it, we could do it together and encourage one another. I'll let you know what I find out.

Most importantly...I love you Rachel, my sister in Christ...for you! Please tell Satan to get away and leave your thougths while you read those words again!

Stephanie said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I wish I can be this real on my blog and I may try to be. Sharing your struggles gets people praying over you.

I think many of us lack faith at some point or another and it's amazing how God can open our eyes to things and make us realize that He needs us working in certain areas we don't want to. It's obvious that you need to be feeding now. Your feed time will come later.

Rest assured, MANY people LOVE you! I see it every time I look at your blog. Satan tries to those thoughts in our minds to think we are worthless and it's better to be idle.

You are wonderful sister - you hang in there. You have many people who love and will pray for you - including me!

Beth said...

Hey girl-

Amazing! I hate that you don't know how precious you are and what a wonderful example you are as well. It is a wonderful example to the rest of us who read your blog that you are able to be so real and open today. I would be afraid to use someone as my example who I thought always had everything together - that's not possible! You have so much responsibility right now and yet you realize how important it is to have a special time with God - for you to worship and for Him to encourage and touch you. What a good job you do of watching for God to answer your prayers and noticing when He is trying to tell you something! I wish I could be the voice in your head, I would say "You are strong, you have a heart like Mary, a work ethic and faith like Martha, you are beautiful to your children, your husband, and the rest of us who love you so dearly, YOU are Loved!" Hang in there girl - you know I am always here for you!
(And, if you and Amy do the bracelet for not complaining, let me know - I sure need to work on that too!!)

Anonymous said...

Love you, love you, love you!

I think you are going to have to choose to silence the voices that you are hearing that accuse you of not being enough. Satan is the accuser, it's not about being humble or modest. Don't discount the physical facts either, lack of sleep, moving, financial concerns, family, grief.... give yourself some space to recover from what you've been through the last few years.

Thank you for opening the door for all of us to openess and honesty.

(Where do I get my bracelet?)

Anonymous said...

you need to put a word of warning on your posts. it should go something like this:

"do not read this post if you're in an office environment. post could cause excessive crying making you appear unprofessional and emotionally unstable."

so i just told everyone i was having a pregnant moment and to keep walking past my office.

THEN i read why Jeremy commented and I started crying again. Maybe I am just hormonal. I wish I could be there to give you a hug. I know I'm not the most encouraging person in the world, but I just want to hug you.

You'll be in my prayers in two ways. one, that you have the strength to do what is right and two, that i can be more like you.
i love you!

LET said...

Rachel,
I don't feel like I knew you very well in Searcy, but I have really enjoyed getting to know you better through your blog. I have an enormous amount of respect for you - you do so many things, and you do them WELL! I especially think you are an awesome mother. You take so much time to just enjoy your children, and that's something I need to work on! I also don't dig very deeply in my own blog - yet another thing to work on! Thanks for setting a great example.
God bless you,
Laura

flee said...

Rachel...it takes alot of courage to put yourself out there like that, and Satan does not like it when we do things like that. I'm also proud of you for taking that leap of faith. God will surely bless you for it. Thanks for your example. I'll be praying for you too.

flee

Donna Strachan said...

Wow, I'm floored at your courage! You just conquered the hardest part of the battle girl!! You are admitting and recognizing where Satan attacks us all-in our thought lives. He knows exactly where to kick us the hardest, but girl, you just kicked the absolute snot out of him! I'm so proud of your honesty, you will be so blessed, I know it wasn't an easy thing for you to do. Now, sit back and wait for your gumball!! I love you girl, Donna

Elizabeth said...

Rach,

My heart is overflowing with love for you. You are (and always have been) such a sweet, loving, and REAL person to me. Thank you for your honesty. I hope you know that you are not alone in your struggles. I certainly deal with similar negative thoughts about myself. (On a daily basis, I might add!) As I read your post, I found myself wanting to say, "SHARE, SHARE, Rachel!" Remember that people can't relate to the "perfect minister's wife." They relate to someone who struggles just like they do! We all struggle, but only some are willing to face and overcome those struggles. I'm proud of you because you are willing to be honest about those thoughts. What's amazing is that behind those thoughts is a beautiful woman who loves the Lord and loves other people. You greatly underestimate yourself....you are an AMAZING woman!! I love you, friend. Sending you hugs...

Deborah said...

I can tell that Elizabeth is my sister, because as I was reading her comment, I thought, "Man!! I was going to say that!" Anyway, I will reiterate what she said about "no one can relate to the perfect minister's wife." Sure, they can see you as an example for servanthood, as someone they can look up to, etc. But ultimately, a seemingly-perfect minister's wife will never be approachable. I marvel at your transparency just now on your blog. What a sweet moment that was for me to see someone like you (whom I have always admired) be a "real person." I need to take your example and apply it to my own life. Blessings on your quest for a deeper relationship with Jesus. May we NEVER become complacent and think we have "arrived" at our peak.

Desiree said...

So I confess I stopped reading blogs for a while. Today (and everyday) I needed your blog. Rachel, one of the things I love most about you is how real you are, please share this with the women of Springfield!! I want them to see and experience the amazing woman I know. Keri was just saying to me how much she missed you b/c of that. You were so honest and real that it forced us to be the same around you. I hope to one day soon open up too, (I won't give you a lame excuse -just fear of being real) But I am going to try b/c I know God is using you to encourage us all. I hope you are having a better week, where's my bracelet??

Lara said...

You are and have always been such a beautiful, witty, encouraging, fun, and talented person! I had such a blast getting to work with you on ladies' retreat committees. You were always one of the ones I looked forward to being with.

Satan, you may not have Rachel! You can't take her confidence and you won't make her feel less than the beautiful woman God is making her. Stay away from our friend!!

God, thank you for people who are willing to bear their souls and their fears--so that You can ultimately be glorified.

If we don't keep opening up to each other in real ways, girls, it's like we are trying to steal God's glory. See, if everyone thinks we're with it and together all on our own strength, then how does God get the glory? It's in our weakness that He is made strong.

Let's all remember that next time we feel like hiding our struggles from each other.

Rachel, you open up and give Him the glory for what He is doing in your life. You go, girl!

Love you,
Lara