Thursday, September 17, 2009

Emma loves 'School'

Emma has wanted sooo badly to go to school for three years now (since Madison started Kindergarten). She cried last year and the year before for at least the first 2-3 weeks of school because she wasn't going and she wanted to go so badly. So, this year we are doing 'school' -- or at least trying to some. She is four and should probably know some things when she does go to kindergarten next year :-( . Since we live in a county that doesn't have a 2 or 3 day a week preschool I figured I should probably work some with her. Let's look at this realistically:

#1: I am NOT a teacher. I love kids but teaching is not my strength and I don't pretend that I have a clue about where to even begin.

#2: Emma for the last two years hasn't wanted to sit for more than 30 seconds to learn. This year, she will sit for hours and write if I let her.

#3: Emma is like her daddy and would like to fool all of us into thinking that she isn't as smart as she really is. She only wants us to see small glimpses of this brilliance and it is of course, on HER terms!

These things leave me exhausted!

So, with all that said, this is what she has been doing over the last few weeks:



She couldn't tell you what most of the letters even are (or at least that is what she is leading us to believe), but she can look at a word that I write and write it herself pretty good! One step at a time, right?!

4 comments:

Mindy S. said...

Hi Rachel,
First of all, for her age, Emma has great handwriting. I am impressed. Also, for learning her letters and their sounds I highly recommend the DVD series by Leap Frog. The first one is Letter Factory. My girls love it and have learned all of their letters and their sounds just from watching it. Good luck with the preschool homeschool. :-)
Mindy (Schackmann) Shearer

Brian and Katie Whitt said...

nice work Emma (and rachel!). what does Joshua do when you two are working together? everytime i try to sit down individually with my kids the other finds a way to get involved.

Beth said...

Good job Emma-schwimma! That is some pretty great handwriting there! I saw some preschool floor pad workbooks at Wal-Mart that looked pretty cool I almost bought for Michael - maybe she would like those? Also, if you can get her to watch Super Why on PBS I think she will really like it and learn her letters pretty quickly. Caleb is even starting to recognize some of them. Hope it goes well!

Miss G said...

She is SO cute! Seriously adorable! Thanks so much for your congrats. :) We're excited. And obviously judging by this past Monday, Mondays may be hit or miss. :) Kelly